May is National Electrical Safety Month. Here's a friendly reminder on preventing electrical hazards.
For power lines, ALWAYS:
- stay 10 feet from overhead lines
- refrain from touching anything that is in contact with overhead lines
- assume power lines are live and dangerous
- stay 35 feet away from downed power lines
At home, NEVER:
- plug extension cords into one another
- nail or staple cords to walls or baseboards
- use indoor cords outdoors, and vice versa
- use frayed, loose, or otherwise damaged cords
- overload extension cords
Extension cords are the most common cause of home fires because they are easy to overheat if used improperly.
Over 50% of electrical fires are preventable. Know your appliances and cords by checking for the UL Certification Mark.
If you are working on an appliance, even as trivial as a table lamp, make sure to unplug it before switching bulbs or swapping shades. For bigger projects, always remember to turn the circuit breaker off for the area you will be in.
Each year, house fires cause nearly $7 billion in property losses.
Hire an electrician for bigger projects you are not comfortable handling. It could save your life!