ENERGY STAR labeled appliances, electronics and lights will help you save money throughout your entire home. Look for the yellow label when shopping for new items.
Traditional lighting can amount up to 12% of your monthly energy use. Energy-saving light bulbs can slice lighting costs by 75%
- Replace any light bulb, especially ones that burn more than one hour per day, with a light-emitted diode (LED) bulb.
- Use fixtures with electronic ballasts and T-8, 32-watt fluorescent lamps.
- Turn off unnecessary lighting.
- Replace outdoor lighting with its equivalant outdoor-rated LED bulb. LEDs work well in cold weather.
- Use outdoor security lights with a photocell and/or a motion sensor.